06 April 2008

Moving....Again

Bruised elbows, banged-up shins, achy back...home sweet home. All these things and more, encompass the love/hate struggle that is moving. Nobody really wants to shoulder a queen mattress up several flights of stairs, but the end result is satisfying. A place of my own set up exactly how I want it. Moving day is never without it's mishaps: chasing the rogue freight elevator between floors, getting cracked in the head with a dresser, having to put my bed together with a warped spoon because I don't have a screw driver.

But with the down side of moving is always an up side. I adore my mini-me apartment, with it's freakishly high ceilings, but pint-sized stove and counter top. I'm also learning and accepting the quirks that come with living in an old building. The bathroom door is cantankerous, requiring a shimmy to the right then left, before it deigns to close. There is the squeaky kitchen drawer, as well as the cabinet door that always hangs open. But the space is always filled with light, even on the dreariest of days. It is the perfect size for this city-girl-in-training, every corner stuffed with my things. And as every day goes by, it will become more and more...mine.

No comments:

Mother Doing Good

Self Magazine has an award contest called Women Doing Good. It honors women who give their time and talents to charitable organizations. I k...