11 March 2011

Mother Doing Good

Self Magazine has an award contest called Women Doing Good. It honors women who give their time and talents to charitable organizations. I know such a woman: my mother. I am fortunate to have been raised my a woman who is always seeking to do good things for others. She has been a great example to me, and I think she should be recognized for it. I admit (sorry, Mom!) that I am doing this without telling her first. I think she'll forgive me. Following is the essay I submitted to the magazine on her behalf. Love you Mom!!


My mother is a remarkable individual, both as a mother and a woman. When I think of a woman doing good, she is absolutely the first one that comes to my mind. She is a the kind of person that would rather do something for someone else than for herself.

My mother retired about a year and a half ago, and has been just as busy without a full-time job. She works tirelessly as a board member for Riverlink. Her role is the Chair for the Executive Committee. Riverlink "supports efforts to address water quality concerns throughout the French Broad River basin, expand public opportunities for access and recreation, and spearhead the economic revitalization of Asheville's dilapidated riverfront district (Riverlink.org)." The French Broad River is the main river that runs through Asheville, NC, the city I grew up in. (As a side note, my home town is listed in the March issue of Self, as being one of the happiest cities!) My mother loves the city she and my Dad raised their family in. She strives to make Asheville an even better place, so that future generations will have it to cherish as well.

When she is not working on projects for Riverlink, my mother is working for the children of Buncombe county. She acts as a guardian ad litem for children who have been placed in foster care. She provides a voice for these children in the court system, helping to place them in a safe a stable and living environment. As a guardian ad litem, my mother meets with the children, reads about their situations, prepares a report, and presents her findings before a judge. She has talked about doing this for years, and I know she is grateful to be able to do this rewarding kind of work.

On a more personal note, my mother enjoys practicing yoga and playing tennis. She has also been a member of Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church for many years. At the church she has been a part of Presbyterian Women, volunteered in the nursery, taught Sunday School, and played in the hand bell choir.

My mother has always been a wonderful example to me, the kind of woman I strive to be. She is selfless, kind, and giving. I will always be grateful to have been adopted into such a wonderful family. She is very deserving to be a recipient of Self magazine's Women Doing Good Award.

No comments:

Mother Doing Good

Self Magazine has an award contest called Women Doing Good. It honors women who give their time and talents to charitable organizations. I k...