07 December 2006

In the beginning...

I was 10 years old then. I had never been on a sail boat before, much less one that lazily traversed the shores of the British Virgin Islands. This was the first time I watched the stars without so much as a streetlight to interrupt them.

There were new ports every night, new tastes, new people at every stop. At one of the ports, there was a cafe on the beach. I remember torches flickering and our waiter wore a black-and-white striped shirt. There was music coming from speakers behind the bar, a few people were dancing on the sand.

Our waiter saw me, ponytail bobbing to the music, eyes bright and curious. In a lilting Caribbean accent, he asked me for a dance. Eighteen years later, I still remember the feel of the breeze on my cheek and the sand beneath my feet. It was the beginning of a love affair with travel. This experience paved the way for many adventures to come.

No comments:

Mother Doing Good

Self Magazine has an award contest called Women Doing Good. It honors women who give their time and talents to charitable organizations. I k...