12 March 2005

From Hong Kong, with Love

Last week I got a postcard from Hong Kong. It has pandas playing on the front..it does not surprise me that this particular friend would remember they are my favorite animal.

6 years ago, I had a housemate when I lived near London for a semester in college. She has got to be one of the most fascinating people I know. Her parents are Chinese, but left Hong Kong before she was born, and immigrated to Holland. My friend speaks Dutch, 2 dialects of Chinese, English, German and some French. She would crack me up when I'd hear her on the phone speaking softly in Dutch with her sister, and then switch to a very loud and forceful Chinese with her mother.The first time I heard her do this, I asked if everything was ok...had she had a fight with her mother? Oh, no, she said, we were just talking about some recipes she was trying out.

I haven't seen her or spoken with her on the phone since we parted ways on a cold night in December in 1999. But we have faithfully kept in touch through e-mail, letters and pictures. I am lucky enough to have two best friends, and she is one of them. I can always count on her, and she on me. I have had friends in the same city as me who don't keep in touch with me has well as she does!

I am hoping that this is the year we will finally get to see each other after all this time. She has never been to the United States, and I have never been to Holland. Anywhere would be great if we could just see each other again.If everyone had a friend like mine, I'm convinced there would be alot less road rage in the world!! Something to think about....

No comments:

Mother Doing Good

Self Magazine has an award contest called Women Doing Good. It honors women who give their time and talents to charitable organizations. I k...