07 October 2007

Generosity

I recently ran a 10k to benefit Western Washington Habitat for Humanity. It is always satisfying for me to complete a race, especially when I see the fruits of my labor as I run. The mid-point of the race goes through one of the Habitat neighborhoods, right when energy levels are sagging and muscles are hurting. I panted around a bend and up a hill where men and women in hard hats were working towards the completion of a family's dream. I felt a lump in my throat as I considered that unknown family and the little house that would be theirs.

Charitible organizations like Habitat, and their events, obviously draw a variety of generous spirits. My favorite such spirit was a cheerful little boy of about seven, complete with impish grin and arm in a cast. This one small boy, for the second year in a row, raised the most money for the Home Run Charity Run/Walk. Last year, he walked into the Habitat office with a jar full of a year's worth of birthday money, allowance, savings. He even went trick-or-treating, accepting donations instead of candy. This is what went into the jar that he handed over with a selflessness that could only come from a child. One that came up with this idea on his own, no prodding from parents or teachers.

I look forward to next year; more cheerful givers and participants (canine and human), finishing another race, and more warm houses for families in need.

No comments:

Mother Doing Good

Self Magazine has an award contest called Women Doing Good. It honors women who give their time and talents to charitable organizations. I k...